DA: Shed in which child died during fire contained gas

By News Staff

news@abc6.com

The Associated Press

Authorities say the shed in which an 8-year-old Massachusetts boy died during a fire while playing with friends apparently contained gasoline for a lawnmower and one of the children was playing with a lighter.

Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe on Tuesday identified the victim of the fire in Hyannis as Savvas Yianasmidis.

O’Keefe says Savvas was in the shed playing on a laptop with two friends, both age 8.

Authorities received a call at about 5:30 p.m. and by the time firefighters arrived the 8-foot-by-12-foot shed was fully engulfed.

Neighbors tried using a garden hose to extinguish the fire.

The victim was found in the shed’s remains after the fire was doused.

State fire Marshal Stephen Coan called the blaze a “horrific, tragic” accident.

It remains under investigation.

(C) WLNE-TV 2014