Dartmouth Skates Past Brown with Five Unanswered Goals

Brown news release…

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Despite three straight goals to end the opening period for a two-goal advantage, Dartmouth responded with five unanswered the rest of the way, as the Brown men’s hockey team fell to the Big Green, 6-3, in Friday’s ECAC and Ivy League matchup at Meehan Auditorium.

Brown dropped to 4-17-1 overall and 1-13-1 in the ECAC, while Dartmouth moves to 10-8-4 on the season and 7-6-2 in the conference.

Junior Mark Naclerio (Milford, Conn.), sophomore Zack Pryzbek (Niagara on the Lake, Ontario) and junior Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) each scored in the first period for the Bears. James Krugar turned away 33 shots to earn the win, while sophomore Tyler Steel (Vernon, British Columbia) made 26 saves for the Bears.

Brown outshot the Big Green by a 36-32 margin.

Dartmouth jumped on the board early when Eric Robinson scored 36 seconds into the contest to give the visitors the 1-0 advantage.

Brown bounced back, however, with three goals to close out the period, starting at 7:47 when Naclerio notched his seventh tally of the season. After Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, Colo.) blocked a shot in the defensive end, Naclerio scooped up the puck and went end-to-end to even the score.

From there, Pryzbek scored the go-ahead goal at 15:21 for his first of the season. Rookie Tim Lappin (Saint Charles, Ill.) carried the puck behind the net and hit Davey Middleton (Novi, Mich.) in front, before the sophomore quickly tapped it off to Pryzbek, who beat Krugar to make it 2-1.

Brown took advantage of a Dartmouth penalty just 26 seconds after the go-ahead goal, as Nick Lappin scored on the power play at 16:24 to give the Bears a 3-1 advantage at the first intermission. Brown outshot the Big Green, 14-12, in the opening frame.

Dartmouth responded with a power-play goal early in the second period, as Corey Kalk re-directed a shot past Steel to trim the deficit to one, 3-2, at 1:44.

Despite evenly matched play during the bulk of the middle frame, Eric Neiley notched the equalizer at 18:29, tying the game up at three goals apiece at the end of the second period. Brown held a slight edge in the shots during the second period, 12-11.

Dartmouth scored another early goal to open the third, when Brad Schierhorn found the back of the net just 23 seconds into the stanza to move in front, 4-3.

Brown hung tough with the Big Green over the next ten minutes, highlighted by a strong power play midway through the stanza that featured four shots on goal in the first shift. Nevertheless, Nick Blight scored at 15:30 and Brandon McNally added an empty-net goal at 19:56 to seal the victory.

Brown returns to action tomorrow when the Bears host No. 6 Harvard at 4 p.m.