Dartmouth Tops Brown Men’s Hockey Friday To Snap Bears Win Streak

Brown University Press Release

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Brown Bears (7-11-2, 3-8-2 ECAC) saw their three-game win streak come to an end after suffering a 4-3 home loss to the Dartmouth Big Green (3-15-1, 2-9-1 ECAC) Friday night at Meehan Auditorium.

It was not a very good night for our team, I’ll take the blame – it started in practice this week where we were not good,” said head coach Brendan Whittet ’94. “There was no urgency and we were feeling too good about ourselves; we have not accomplished anything. That team out-worked us and out-competed us; and that cannot happen, not in your home rink. Again, I’ll take the blame, but not a good effort.

We have to find a way to be a lot better tomorrow night with the mighty Crimson coming in, and we need to get points.”

Brown was assessed a protocol violation minor prior to the opening puck drop for staying on the ice too long during warmups. The Bears were one of three ECAC teams assessed the pregame penalty tonight.

Luke Krys put the Bears ahead at 7:07 of the opening period, striking for his second of the season on Brown’s first power play chance of the night. Krys kept a Big Green clear attempt at the blue line and moved the puck to Bradley Cocca, who sent it right back to Krys for the one-timer from the top of the zone.

The Big Green tied the game on their second power play chance of the night as Cam MacDonald tipped a Sean Chisholm shot in front of goaltender Mathieu Caron (21 saves) to even the score at 1-1.

Thomas Manty scored his second goal in as many games to give the Bears a 2-1 lead at 3:09 of the second period. Manty picked up a loose puck in the neutral zone and wired a low shot to the far post to beat Dartmouth goaltender Cooper Black (19 saves). Krys and Brett Bliss assisted on the goal.

Just over two minutes later, Joey Musa tied the game at 2-2 with a quick shot from just above the goal line with assists from Matt Hubbarde and Tanner Palocsik.

Bliss tallied his fifth goal of the season at 11:24 of the second to re-take the lead. Bliss rifled a shot through traffic to beat Black with assists from Krys and Ryan Bottrill.

After a late penalty, Dartmouth tied the game at 3-3 with 26 seconds remaining in the second as Cooper Flinton beat Caron on the Big Green’s third power play chance of the night.

Consecutive penalties against Brown gave the Big Green an extended 5-on-3 advantage halfway through the third period and with 8:31 remaining in the third, Dartmouth’s John Fusco found the back of the net. However, a Brown challenge led to the goal being overturned as Dartmouth had entered the zone offside with 9:38 remaining in the period.

Dartmouth maintained momentum following the overturned goal and Cooper Flinton scored the game-winning goal with 3:32 remaining.


  • Krys finished the night with a career-high three points. It marks the fourth multi-point game of the senior’s career.
  • Bliss recorded his fourth multi-point game of the season and fifth of his career with a goal and assist.
  • Dartmouth finished the night with a 25-22 edge in shots on goal, buoyed by a 14-3 third period advantage.
  • The Big Green finished 2-for-5 on the power play with Brown finishing 1-for-2.

Brown closes the weekend tomorrow night against the ninth-ranked Harvard Crimson (13-4-1, 11-2-0 ECAC) at Meehan Auditorium. Tomorrow night’s game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. and will stream on ESPN+ in the United States.

Categories: College Sports, Sports