East Providence to install traffic cameras in the coming weeks
EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE)- The City of East Providence announced on Thursday that it will begin its Public Safety Traffic Camera Program in the coming weeks.
Cameras will be installed at the following intersections:
· Pawtucket Avenue & Warren Avenue
· Pawtucket Avenue & Taunton Avenue
· Broadway & Warren Avenue
· Pawtucket Avenue & Veterans Memorial Parkway
· Newport Avenue & Ferris Avenue
· Wampanoag Trail & Mink Street
· N Broadway & Roger Williams Avenue
· Highland Avenue & Catamore Blvd.
· Taunton Avenue & Purchase Street
· Broadway & Grosvenor Avenue
Cameras will be installed in the following school zones:
· St. Mary’s Academy Bay View School (3070 Pawtucket Ave.)
· Kent Heights School (2680 Pawtucket Ave.)
· Riverside Middle School (179 Forbes St.)
· St. Margaret School (42 Bishop Ave.)
· East Providence High School (2000 Pawtucket Ave.)
East Providence Police Chief William Nebus discussed the importance of the traffic camera program.
“Each year, too many families are impacted by crashes caused by people speeding or drivers failing to stop at red lights and speed was likely a factor in more than 45 percent of all traffic fatalities in Rhode Island,” he said.
The fine for running through a red light intersection is $85. The fine for speeding in a School Safety Zone is $50.