Eight dogs dead in East Providence kennel fire
EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE)- A fire broke out inside a backyard kennel overnight at an East Providence home.
Crews responded to Walnut Street on Monday, around 3 a.m., for the fire that took the life of eight dogs.
Seven of the golden retrievers were puppies and one was the mother.
Another litter of eight puppies were found safe in a separate kennel in the backyard, according to officials.
East Providence Animal Control says the owners are considered hobby breeders, meaning they have less than three litters per year and aren’t required to be licensed or inspected by the state.
ABC6 crews were told by officials that a heater in the kennel is believed to have sparked the flames.
“It was a heated shed and I think that may be part of what contributed to the fire. May have been some sort of heating element that ignited,” according to William Muggle, Animal Control Supervisor.
The structure was not burnt to the ground but was an extensive fire, says Muggle.
A neighbor, Tony Medina says, “I saw the news. I started to get nervous because it’s close to my house. I own a couple dogs myself, very sad.”
A house sitter says that the homeowners were not home at the time of the incident.
The owners are cooperating in the investigation and are devastated, says officials.
“I spoke with the owner. He’s obviously devastated, poor timing he’s out of town. But it sounds like he’s going to cooperate in any way to make sure they are safe and he obviously doesn’t want to see this happen again. The puppies and the other mom look like they’re really well cared for,” continued Muggle.
Check back to ABC6 for the latest updates.