Fire at Johnston metal plant covers area in thick, toxic smoke

By: Alexandra Cowley

acowley@abc6.com

Johnston Police and Fire are working to contain toxic smoke at The Schnitzer Steel metal plant at 89 Celia Street. Fire broke out at the building Sunday Afternoon sending thick clouds of smoke into the air.

People who live near the plant were told keep away and stay indoors because of the toxic smoke. ABC 6 News is on scene where police and fire are wearing oxygen masks as they work to contain the flames.

Police Chief Timothy McLaughlin tells ABC 6 the fire started at the bottom of a massive scrap pile. Machines are on scene trying to life material and get to the root of the fire.

Once they get to the bottom of the pile, they'll work to determine what sparked the flames.

No one was injured. Fire officials believe they'll be out there all night.

Stay with ABC 6 News for continuing coverage.

(C) WLNE-TV 2013