Fire Displaces Residents of Woonsocket Home

Residents of the Hope Street neighborhood in Woonsocket looked on as firefighters battled a persistent fire at a multi-family home in Woonsocket Saturday afternoon.

Some wondered aloud what the cause of the fire was. Neighbors feared for the safety of those who were inside when the fire started.

The Woonsocket fire department said the fire began around 12:30 this afternoon, at 24 Hope Street. When ABC6 News arrived on scene, crews had been battling the flames for nearly an hour.

Small pockets of flames could be seen near the edges of the home. Each time firefighters unleashed a barrage of water onto the burning home, a fresh round of flames was there to greet them.

Woonsocket resident Jose Campos was amongst those who lost everything in the fire. He wasn't inside when the fire started, but said he received a phone call shortly after it began. “When I got here, the house was totaled already,” he said.

According to fire officials, a space heater was the cause of the fire. Flames spread to other floors and to the roof, which quickly became engulfed in flames.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, but several families are now homeless.

The is not being labeled as suspicious at this time.