Fire officials: Cigarette caused West Warwick mall fire

By News Staff

news@abc6.com

Fire investigators say the fire in the Quaker Valley Mall in West Warwick was accidental.

According to officials, and to cameras mounted in the back of the mall, one of the workers from Pinelli’s restaurant discarded a cigarette near a pile of debris in back of the building. The cigarette caused a fire that eventually caught on to a gas meter. 

Crews were called out to the business complex off Quaker Lane Tuesday night.

Crews watched and waited hoping the fire wouldn’t spread.

They had to wait for National Grid workers to show up and shut off the gas.

(C) WLNE/TV 2014