Witness: Grandmother helps boys escape burning home, gets stuck inside

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WLNE) — A woman who witnessed a fire rip through a Pawtucket home told ABC 6 News that a grandmother helped her two sleeping grandsons to safety, but was trapped inside.

The fire started just after 9 a.m. Wednesday on Ballston Avenue.

Pawtucket police said that one of the boys, who’s 12 years old, and the grandmother, 71, were taken to the hospital for treatment. The 71-year-old is in serious condition.

The witness said that the boys’ grandmother was trapped inside for about 40 minutes before firefighters cut a hole in the roof to rescue her.

The flames burned through the third-floor home, charring the outside. No further information was immediately released.



Categories: News, Pawtucket, Regional News, Rhode Island