Flaming gas leak forces evacuation of a dozen homes

MARSHFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A gas leak ignited Saturday morning in front of a residence in Marshfield, sending plumes of flames into the air and forcing officials to evacuate about a dozen homes.

The fire continue to burn throughout the day and into the evening until it was put out around 7 p.m., according to the Marshfield Police Department.

“The gas line has been isolated and shut down and the fire is OUT!,” the police wrote in a tweet.

Jennifer Fields, who lives in a nearby home, said she saw flames when she looked out the window Saturday morning and then heard fire engines and emergency vehicles arrive. Video she filmed of the gas leak showed a pillar of fire shooting up from a sidewalk.

“I was concerned for my neighbor’s house for fear it would burn,” Fields said. “They have been pumping water on it all day long,” because the flames were so close, she said.

Marshfield fire Chief Jeffrey Simpson said firefighters found a downed power line, which they think may have ignited the leaking gas from an underground main, WCVB-TV reported.

No injuries have been reported and the Red Cross of Massachusetts responded to the scene to offer assistance, according to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services.

Around 36 homes were without gas and fewer without power, the police said.

Officials urged people to avoid the area.

Categories: Massachusetts, News, Regional News