Grand jury clears Warren teen of murder charge in 2021 beating death
WARREN, R.I. (WLNE) — An 18-year-old man who was arrested last year in connection to a deadly assault in Warren will not be charged by a grand jury, according to his attorney.
“Kenzie [Nicolson] and his family are extremely grateful that the grand jury thoughtfully considered all evidence before making the determination not to charge him,” said John MacDonald.
MacDonald said Nicolson took “the actions necessary to defend his father,” adding that he “looks forward to putting this extremely traumatic event behind him.”
Last December, Nicolson, who was 16 years old at the time of the incident, was charged as an adult by Warren police for the murder of Richard Raymond, 54.
Raymond was seriously injured on Aug. 26, 2021 on Market Street after Nicolson hit him in the back of the head with an aluminum bat.
Police responded to Market Street for a report of a disturbance between the 54-year-old and Nicolson’s dad — who knew each other –that involved a knife.
Raymond was found on the ground with head injuries. He was taken to Rhode Island Hospital, where he died on Sept. 12.