House fire caused by hot embers of wood stove

 By News Staff

news@abc6.com

The Portsmouth Fire Department reported to a house fire caused by hot embers of a wood stove; they remind people to be cautious when removing ash from fire places and wood stoves.

The fire started at around 8:55 a.m. Saturday on Power Street.

Upon arrival, fire officials found the fire in the attached garage of the home. They were able to quickly extinguishing the fire. Damage was contained to the garage.

It has been determined that the fire started when hot embers burned through a container after being removed from a wood stove.

Chief Michael Cranson would like to remind people to only remove ash from fire places and wood stoves after they have cooled. Once removed, the ash must be stored outdoors in a metal container and away from any combustible materials.

There were no injuries during this fire, and the residents were able to stay in their home.

© WLNE-TV / ABC6  2015