I-95 Paving Begins June 20th
The Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) today announced that it will be resurfacing a portion of I-95 North and South in Providence beginning next week. The current schedule, which is weather dependent, calls for resurfacing operations to begin on Sunday night, June 20 at 9 p.m.
Those traveling on I-95 should reduce their speed in areas with grooved pavement for safe travel. Along with the rough driving surfaces, motorists will encounter overnight lane closures on the highway.
RIDOT expects to begin the same type of resurfacing operation on I-195 beginning the following week on June 27. The operations represent the final paving of I-95 and I-195 in these areas as part of the Iway project. The Department anticipates completing all resurfacing operations in mid to late July.
The areas under construction are as follows:
Week of June 20
· I-95 North: Exit 20 (Point Street) to Exit 22 (Downtown).
· I-95 South: Exit 21 (Atwells Avenue) to Exit 19 (Eddy Street).
Week of June 27
· I-95: Same areas as prior week.
· I-195 East: After Exit 2 (India St.) and before Exit 4 (Taunton Avenue).
· I-195 West: Exit 3 (Gano Street) to Exit 2 (South Main Street).
Motorists with questions can contact RIDOT's Customer Service office at 401-222-2450 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Additional information will be available on RIDOT's website (www.dot.ri.gov) and its social media sites on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and Blogger.