Inferno at Cumberland home caused by reignited fireworks
CUMBERLAND, R.I. (WLNE) — Reignited fireworks caused an inferno in Cumberland that damaged two homes and a vehicle hours after the Fourth of July.
Fire Chief Nicholas Anderson said fireworks were used at the Morning Glory Road home at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.
“The bulk of the fire was from the exterior to the front. Crews cooled each neighboring home before they proceeded to go into the home. There was fire traveling in the basement and on the first floor and in the attic area,” Anderson explained.
Anderson said the firework remnants heated up again just after 1 a.m. Wednesday. The fire was caused by misplaced fireworks after use on the Fourth of July.
A vehicle went up in flames at first.
Anderson said neighbors heard an explosion, which was most likely a tire.
There was one adult and three children in the home at the time of the fire. One of the children was awake playing video games and noticed what was happening.
The fire quickly spread, damaging the main house and the house next door.
Anderson said a second alarm was issued due to a water main break on Route 122. Humidity also made it difficult to knock the fire down.
Anderson explained proper safety protocols when it comes to disposing fireworks.
“The recommendation is after you discard your fireworks, you should soak it in a bucket of water, then retain the moisture by wrapping them in a plastic bag,” said Anderson.
Anderson also added the importance of caution when using fireworks in general.
“Use extreme caution while using fireworks. They can be a great sense of community and excitement but we recommend you leave all of your fireworks to the professionals,” Anderson concluded.
The Red Cross is assisting two families, three adults and four children.
No injuries were reported.