Investigators use city security cameras to follow timeline of deadly shooting
NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WLNE) — A third man was charged in a deadly shooting in New Bedford last week.
Xavier Luis Rodriguez, 20, was held without bail after his arraignment in New Bedford District Court Friday.
Two other men were being held without bail on accessory charges in connection to the killing of 20-year-old Lorenzo Gomes last Monday.
Prosecutors said in court that the shooting was caught on city security cameras.
Sterling Robinson, 24, was known to New Bedford police. He had a GPS monitor on him while on probation from a previous case.
Investigators traced Robinson’s location as he drove a Honda Civic through several spots in the city.
Police said Willie Monteiro, 25, was the passenger. Rodriguez and a 16-year-old, who’s name was not released, were in the back.
Prosecutors said the young men were on their way back from getting food at about 11:52 p.m. Sunday when they saw Gomes driving a white Acura.
Camera footage showed the Honda made a U-turn and followed the Acura toward the intersection of Tallman and North Front streets.
The Honda then went around the Acura when it was at a stop sign. Shots were then fired out of the rear driver side window, through the Acura’s passenger window and windshield.
The Honda then took off, leaving Gomes behind.
Prosecutors said a friend of Gomes was on the phone with him during the shooting. The friend called 911 just after midnight and gave police Gomes’ phone number, which authorities were able to use to find his location.
Police found Gomes unresponsive on nearby Belleville Avenue with gunshot wounds to his front and his side.
Investigators believe he was trying to drive himself to a hospital when he lost consciousness.
Robinson and Monteiro were charged with accessory to murder after the fact for allegedly driving Rodriguez from the scene.
Rodriguez was charged with murder and carrying an illegal firearm.
All three men were ordered held without bail.