Janai Crooms’ Friars Beat Kylie Swider’s Wildcats in Big East Opener
The Providence College women’s basketball team was clicking on all cylinders en route to a 66-47 victory over Villanova in the 2021-22 BIG EAST opener. The Friars dominated the glass, 43-29, and shot an impressive 48-percent from the floor in the win (22-46).
• A 5-0 run late in the first quarter gave Villanova an 11-5 advantage.
• Janai Crooms hit a three from the top of the key as the shot clock expired to make it an 11-8 game with 1:47 on the clock.
• The Wildcats held a 13-8 lead heading into the break.
• Villanova opened the quarter with a three-point bucket then went cold from the field for over five minutes.
• Providence used a 7-0 run to take its first lead of the game (17-16), capped by a Meghan Huerter three-pointer at the 7:06 mark.
• The Friars maintained their one-point advantage into the media timeout (4:27).
• Providence got out to a 24-18 lead, but the Wildcats cut the deficit to two (24-22) at halftime.
• The Friars outscored Villanova 16-9 in the second quarter.
• Alyssa Geary and Crooms each scored six points to pace the offense.
• Brianna Herlihy led the Wildcats with 11 points.
• The Friars went on a 8-1 run during a two-minute span to take a 34-27 advantage midway through the third.
• Providence pushed out to its largest lead of the game on a pair of Geary free throws with 13-seconds left (41-32).
• The Friars used a 17-10 scoring advantage in the third quarter overall.
• Geary got the scoring going in the fourth with a baby hook in the paint (43-32).
• The Wildcats responded with back-to-back threes to force a Providence timeout with 8:34 on the clock (43-38).
• Villanova extended its run to 8-0 to get within three (43-40).
• The Friars answered with a 5-0 spurt, capped by another Huerter three.
• Providence extended its run to 10-2 to take a 53-42 lead with 5:10 on the clock and ran away late to take the 66-47 win.
• The Friars shot an impressive 70-percent in the fourth quarter (9-13), including 3-3 from beyond the arc.
NOTES / HIGHLIGHTS:
• Geary recorded her first double-double of the season, and second of her career, with 18 points and a career-high 13 rebounds.
• She was 5-9 from the floor and 8-9 from the charity stripe, while also dishing a team-best three assists.
• Crooms and Lauren Sampson each recorded 10 points for the Friars. Crooms also contributed eight rebounds.
• Providence shot a season-high 47.8-percent from the field (22-46).
• The Friars shot 50-percent from three-point range (6-12).
• Providence owned the glass during the match-up (43-29) and held a 28-16 scoring edge in the paint.
• The Friars snapped a five-game winless streak against Villanova, earning their first win over the Wildcats since the 2018-19 season.
• The Friars return to action on Sunday, Dec. 5 against BIG EAST foe Georgetown. Tip-off is set for 1:00 p.m. at Alumni Hall in Providence, R.I. The game will be broadcast live on the BIG EAST Digital Network via FloSports.