Johnston family displaced after 4th of July fire

Email: news@abc6.com

Twitter: @ABC6

JOHNSTON, R.I. (WLNE) – A family of six has been displaced from their Johnston home after a fire late Wednesday night.

Johnston firefighters responded to the Greenville Avenue home around 11:20 p.m. Wednesday for reports of a fire.

With no fire hydrant nearby, firefighters had to call in a tanker. The flames meanwhile, quickly started spreading.

“When we got on scene there was a porch on fire at the rear of the house,” said Battalion Chief David Benedetti. “The whole back of the house was on fire. We had to go inside and pull ceiling, so there is a lot of interior damage also.”

 Firefighters soon after had the scene under control, and no injuries were reported.

Chief Benedetti says the fire was a Fourth of July accident that could have been prevented.

“Early indications show that this was caused by improper disposal of charcoal – of a charcoal grill,” he said. “It does happen from time to time during the summer, you just have to be on guard and careful with what you do.”

The Greenville Avenue home has been deemed uninhabitable, and the American Red Cross is working with the family to find them temporary housing.

©WLNE-TV / ABC6 2019