Kino Lilly Jr.’s Career High 32 Points Leads Brown to Win over Maine

A career-high 32 points from Kino Lilly Jr. led the Brown men’s basketball team to victory over Maine 70-63 Sunday afternoon at the Pizzitola Sports Center.

“I thought through the first 30 minutes, that’s probably the best we’ve played all year and we want to keep building on that,” head coach Mike Martin ’04 said. “We need to learn to play with the lead and learn to play against a 3-2 zone. We haven’t seen that a ton this year, but that’s all stuff we can teach and be better at.

“I’m really happy for our team and really pleased with how they found the hot hand. Obviously, that was a great display by Kino. We want to build on this, it was a good win for us.”

Lilly’s 32 points were the most in a game by a member of the Bears since Brandon Anderson ’20 had 32 against Canisius back in 2019. Lilly was 11-for-20 from the field, including 7-for-14 from beyond the arc. The seven made threes were also a career-high for the sophomore. Lilly added three steals and two rebounds to round out the career day.

Nana Owusu-Anane and Paxson Wojcik continued their strong play on the season. Owusu-Anane posted 13 points and six rebounds, while Wojcik had 11 and eight, his third game this year with at least eight boards. Kalu Anya added nine points and 10 rebounds and Aaron Cooley had a team-high five assists.

The Bears jumped out to an early lead and a three-point play by Wojcik coming out of the first media timeout pushed Brown’s lead to 14-10.

A three my Malachi Ndur with 8:46 remaining in the first half put Brown up by six at 25-19, but over the next two minutes the Black Bears outscored the Bears 8-1 to take the 27-26 lead.

Kino put Brown back ahead with a three to make it 31-29 Bears with 4:33 to go. Brown would take the 38-34 lead into the break.

The two sides traded buckets to start the second and the Bears would see their lead decreased to three with 14:11 remaining, but a three by Owusu-Anane started a 17-3 Brown run that stretched the Bears lead out to 17 points at 64-47 at the midway point of the second half.

Down the stretch, the Black Bears would trim the Brown lead to as little as five, but the Bears did enough to hold on. A pair of free throws by Kimo Ferrari with 15 seconds remaining iced the game for Brown.

The Bears held the lead in this one for 38:10 of the full 40 minutes and did a great job of limiting Maine on the offensive boards. The Black Bears grabbed just four offensive rebounds and weren’t able to convert them into any second chance points.

Brown will play its first of five straight on the road this Tuesday, Nov. 29 when the Bears travel to Central Connecticut for a 7 p.m. tip.

Categories: Sports