Late Goal Lifts #9 UMass Past #4 PC
Ty Farmer’s point shot through a screen with 1:25 remaining lifted No. 9/9 UMass over No. 4/3 Providence College men’s hockey on Thursday night at the Mullins Center in Amherst, Mass.
No. 4/3 Providence – 2 | No. 9/9 UMass – 3
Providence – 5-2-1 (2-1-0 HEA) | UMass – 7-1-0 (4-0-0 HEA)
Mullins Center – Amherst, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 18 saves
Matt Murray (UM) – 29 saves
– UMass took at 2-0 lead after 20 minutes on goals from Marc Del Gaizo and John Leonard.
– The goals were the first surrendered by the Friars in the first period this season and snapped a streak of 12 games not allowing a first period goal.
– Providence’s best chance in the period came off the stick of Scott Conway, who rang the post during the Friars’ power play.
– Shots were even at 8-8 after the opening 20 minutes.
– The Friars broke through on the power play at 11:58 of the second period as Jacob Bryson netted his third goal of the season off a clean faceoff win by Vimal Sukumaran.
– Providence continued their offensive push in the following minutes but couldn’t net the equalizer in the second period.
– Hawkey kept things at a one-goal game as he denied Bobby Trivigno on a clear breakaway.
– The Friars held a 10-8 edge in shots during the second period.
– Providence knotted the game at 2-2 early in the third period on the power play as Kasper Björkqvist tipped in a pass from Tyce Thompson at the top of the crease.
– Sophomore Jason O’Neill had a clear breakaway with under five minutes left, but he was denied by Murray.
– UMass defenseman Ty Farmer scored the game-winning goal with 1:25 to play on a shot from the point through traffic.
– The Friars have dropped their last three games at the Mullins Center dating back to last season.
– Providence has outshot its opponents in all eight games this season.
– Hayden Hawkey make 18 saves to drop to 5-2-0 overall this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UMass) – 2:25/1st – PP – Marc Del Gaizo (Pritchard, Leonard) – Cross-crease pass from Pritchard to Del Gaizo for the one-timer.
2-0 (UMass) – 9:50/1st – EV – John Leonard (Boeing) – Chip from the defensive zone sprung Leonard on a breakaway and he slipped a backhand shot through the five hole of Hawkey.
2-1 (Providence) – 11:58/2nd – PP – Jacob Bryson (Sukumaran) – Faceoff win by Sukumaran back to Bryson at the point, who fired a wrist shot over the blocker of Murray.
2-2 (Providence) – 6:44/3rd – PP – Kasper Björkqvist (Thompson, Dugan) – Re-direct at the top of the crease off a pass from Thompson.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Bryson, Björkqvist (1)
Assists: Sukumaran, Thompson, Dugan (1)
Points: Bryson, Björkqvist, Sukumaran, Thompson, Dugan (1)
Shots: Bryson, Björkqvist (5)
Providence – 2/5
UMass – 1/4
Providence – 31
UMass – 21
The Friars and Minutemen resume their home-and-home series on Saturday night at Schneider Arena. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. on NBC Sports Boston and TSN.ca.
For more updates on the Providence College men’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.