Lettieri’s Hat Trick & Five-Point Day Leads P-Bruins Past Bears
Providence, RI – Vinni Lettieri posted a hat-trick in the first 10:20 of the game and added two assists as well, leading the Providence Bruins to a 5-3 victory over the Hershey Bears on Sunday evening at the Amica Mutual Pavilion. John Beecher and Chris Wagner potted a goal and an assist a piece, while Connor Carrick recorded three assists in the victory. The P-Bruins extended their first-place lead in the Atlantic Division to three points over the Bears.
How It Happened
- While on the power play, Georgii Merkulov won the face-off back to Connor Carrick, who danced around a defender and dished the puck to Lettieri at the right circle, where he fired a wrist shot into the upper left corner 1:36 into the first period to give the P-Bruins a 1-0 lead.
- From behind the cage, Justin Brazeau fed Lettieri at the bottom of the right circle for a one-timer that beat the goaltender top shelf to extend the Providence lead to 2-0 with 15:42 remaining in the first period. Carrick was credited with the secondary assist.
- 48 seconds after Lettieri’s second goal, he found Beecher at the bottom of the left circle for a one-timer that flew above the goaltender’s left shoulder, giving the P-Bruins a 3-0 lead. Wagner received a secondary assist.
- Mike Vecchinoe’s one-timer on the power play from just inside the right circle zipped inside the far post, cutting the Providence lead to 3-1 with 11:08 left in the first period.
- Lettieri completed his first period hat-trick after collecting a rebound below the left circle and putting it back into the net with 9:40 remaining in the first period, extending the P-Bruins lead to 4-1. Carrick and Beecher were credited with assists.
- Aaron Ness crashed the net for a rebound goal, shrinking the Providence lead to 4-2 with 1:57 to play in the first period.
- From the left circle, Shane Gersich fired a shot that rebounded to Henrik Rybinski above the blue paint, who put back the rebound, cutting the P-Bruins lead to 4-3 with 18:01 remaining in the third period.
- Wagner scored an empty-net goal with 50 seconds left, assisted by Brazeau and Lettieri.
- Lettieri’s hat-trick (10:20) was the fastest recorded by a Providence player since Randy Robitaille scored three 14:14 into the game on November 25, 1998 at Syracuse.
- Lettieri’s five points matches a season-high of any Providence skater.
- Brazeau’s two assists extended his point streak to three games.
- Kyle Keyser stopped 32 of 35 shots faced. Providence totaled 38 shots.
- The P-Bruins power play went 1-for-6, and the penalty kill was 1-for-2.
The P-Bruins host the Hershey Bears on Wednesday, March 15 at the Amica Mutual Pavilion. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. ET.