Liberty Pulls Away From Bryant In Second Half To Down Bulldogs
Bryant University Press Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Bryant University men’s basketball team held a 33-32 halftime lead but Liberty outscored the Bulldogs 50-29 in the second half to earn an 82-62 victory in the Hall of Fame Classic on Saturday afternoon at the MassMutual Center.
Bryant falls to 8-4 with the loss and returns to the Chace Athletic Center on Thursday, December 22 to face CAA favorite Towson.
On Saturday, Antwan Walker led the Black and Gold with 17 points, all in the first half, and five rebounds. Earl Timberlake (16 points, 5 rebounds) and Sherif Gross-Bullock (15 points, three rebounds) each finished in double figures.
Liberty 82, Bryant 62
Records: Bryant 8-4 | Liberty 7-4
Location: MassMutal Center (Springfield, Mass.)
- The Flames used a 13-0 run to pull away in the second half.
How it Happened
- Walker hit his first three of the game to tie the score at 7-7 with 15:45 to go in the first half.
- The Flames then ran off an 11-2 run to make it 18-9 with 12:15 left in the first half.
- After Gross-Bullock and Timberlake brought Bryant within five, Walker took over.
- Timberlake made a beautiful pass to a cutting Walker for the slam and then Walker canned a pair of free throws to make it a one-point game.
- The Flames got the next basket but Walker drilled a corner three to tie the game at 20-20. He then finished off the glass before slamming home another perfect pass from Doug Edert to give the Bulldogs a 24-20 lead.
- Walker scored 11-straight points for the Black and Gold.
- Liberty would regain a four-point lead before Charles Pride tied the score at 31-31 with a three ball. A pair of Bryant free throws gave the Black and Gold a 33-32 lead at the break.
- Gross-Bullock scored the first eight points of the second half for the Bulldogs, drilling a three from the top to give the Black and Gold a 41-40 lead with 16:35 to go. It would be Bryant’s final lead of the game.
- The Flames would rattled off a 13-2 run to take a 53-43 lead with 12:24 to go.
- Bryant would cut the deficit to five and trailed by six when the Flames would take over. Darius McGhee connected on a four-point play to kickstart a 20-4 run that gave Liberty a 76-55 lead with 4:52 left.
- Bryant finished the game 22-of-45 (49 percent) from the field, 5-of-13 (39 percent) from beyond the arc and 13-of-19 (68 percent) from the line.
- Liberty held a 30-29 advantage in rebounds.
- Walker led Bryant with 17 points on 5-of-7 shooting from the field. He made both of his three-point attempts. Walker added five rebounds, two assists and two blocks.
- Timberlake posted 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting. He added five rebounds.
- Gross-Bullock collected 15 points and three rebounds.
- Pride finished with seven points and three assists.
- Bryant and Liberty were meeting for the first time in program history.
- Pride now has 1,293 points.
- Walker scored in double-figures for the 10th consecutive game and for the 11th time this season.
- Gross-Bullock has now scored in double figures in all 12 games this season. It marks his 34th-career double-digit effort.
- Timberlake scored in double-figures for the 10th time this season.
The Bulldogs return to the Chace Athletic Center on Thursdy, December 22 to face Towson. Tip is set for 12:00 p.m.