Lohrei Makes Pro Debut, Bowers Powers P-Bruins Past Bears Into First Place
Providence Bruins Press Release
Providence, RI – Forward Shane Bowers potted two goals, while goaltender Kyle Keyser stopped 28 shots as the Providence Bruins defeated the Hershey Bears 3-1 on Wednesday night at the Amica Mutual Pavilion. Vinni Lettieri posted a two point night on a goal and an assist. With the victory, the P-Bruins regained first place in the Atlantic Division and secured a bye in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs.
How It Happened
- Mike Callahan’s wrist shot from the left point deflected off Bowers and past the glove of the goaltender, giving the P-Bruins a 1-0 lead 3:33 into the first period. Jack Ahcan received a secondary assist.
- Lettieri’s turnaround shot from the hash marks rebounded out to Bowers at the right post, who flipped the puck across the goal line to extend the Providence lead to 2-0 with 6:05 remaining in the first period. Georgii Merkulov was credited with an assist as well.
- Beck Malenstyn pulled the puck off the boards from behind the cage, spun around a defender and snuck a shot inside the right post, cutting the P-Bruins lead to 2-1 with 16:43 remaining in the third period.
- Lettieri scored an empty net goal from behind his own goal line with 36 seconds remaining to extend the Providence lead to 3-1.
- Bowers’ multi-goal game was the first of his career.
- Lettieri posted his ninth multi-point game of the season.
- Keyser stopped 28 of 29 shots faced. The P-Bruins totaled 30 shots.
- The Providence power play went 0-for-2, and the penalty kill was 2-for-2.
The P-Bruins host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday, April 7 at the Amica Mutual Pavilion. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. ET.