Maine Blanks PC Hockey In Regular Season Finale, Friars Clinch Playoff Spot
Providence College Press Release
ORONO, Maine – Mitchell Fossier scored midway through the third period and Jeremy Swayman stopped all 48 shots as No. 15 Maine blanked the No. 18 Providence College men’s hockey team, 1-0, on Friday night at Alfond Arena. By virtue of New Hampshire’s loss at Boston College, Providence clinched a berth in the Hockey East playoffs.
Providence – 0 | Maine – 1
No. 18 Providence – 16-12-6 (10-11-3 HEAM) | No. 15 Maine – 18-11-5 (11-10-3 HEAM)
Alfond Arena – Orono, Maine
Michael Lackey (PC) – 23 saves
Jeremy Swayman (Maine) – 48 saves
– The Friars played an impressive road period to start, outshooting the Black Bears by an 18-7 margin.
– Jack Dugan had the best chance during a power play as he walked right down the middle of the slot, but Swayman flashed his glove to snare the attempt.
– The teams played an even second period, but the Friars had two golden chances in the waning seconds as Dugan was denied all alone in front and Luke Johnson’s one-timer was robbed by the glove of Swayman.
– The Friars raced out in the third with 10 shots on goal in the opening 2:13 of play.
– With the teams skating four-on-four, Mitchell Fossier scored the lone goal of the game at 9:21 of the third period.
– Greg Printz nearly tied it up seconds later, as he walked in all alone on a breakaway but his backhand was turned away by Swayman.
– The Friars pressed in the final seconds but couldn’t find the equalizer and suffered their second shutout in the last three games.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Maine) – 9:21/3rd – EV – Mitchell Fossier (Doherty, Greenway) – Shot from the high slot over the blocker of Lackey.
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Printz (8)
Providence – 0/2
Maine – 0/2
Providence – 48
Maine – 24
Providence will begin a best-of-three Hockey East Quarterfinal series next Friday (March 13) at either Boston College or UMass.