Man convicted of second degree murder in fatal 2017 New Bedford stabbing

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WLNE)– A 25-year-old man has been convicted of second degree murder and other charges in a fatal 2017 New Bedford stabbing, according to the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office.

David Antonetty Almestica was convicted by a jury last week of second degree murder, witness intimidation, and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

On October 4, 2017, police responded to Tallman Street around 6:30 a.m. for a potential drug overdose outside.

Upon arrival, police found a man suffering multiple stab wounds, later identified as Angel Camacho.

Investigators said that Almestica met Camacho at a second-floor apartment on Tallman Street to sell him cocaine. The victim was not happy with the price, said the DA’s office.

Almestica stabbed Camacho three times, once in the chest, once in the leg, and a slash wound to his abdomen.

He then threw Camacho down the stairs. Almestica proceeded to follow Camacho outside where he struck him with an object and “football kicked” him.

Almestica allegedly handed out cocaine to witnesses to the stabbing, telling them to keep their mouths shut.

He was later arrested in Springfield, Mass. Camacho passed away from his injuries at St. Luke’s Hospital.

Categories: Massachusetts, New Bedford, News