Man killed in Fall River cooking fire
By: Samantha Lavien
A cooking fire in Fall River claimed the life of a 63-year-old man Monday afternoon.
Police identify the victim as Jesse Silvia.
“There was a cooking mishap. Some clothing caught on fire. That led him frantically trying to put the fire out himself. People did say they heard yelling and did witness that individual on fire,” said Captain Neil Furtado with the Fall River Fire Dept.
Firefighters found Silvia on fire when they arrived at the South Winds Apartment Complex. Furtado says crews quickly broke a window and rushed inside.
Neighbors say the smoke from the fire traveled fast.
“I could smell it and my apartment started filling up really fast with smoke. So, I grabbed my dog and some shoes and I came outside,” said Karen Dilbero.
Dilbero knew Silvia. She says he used to like playing with her dog and always asked about her daughter.
“I’m in complete shock. And, just to know the man and know how sweet he was it really gets to you,” said Dilbero.
Others living nearby also in shock, trying to make sense of what happened.
“It’s not something you expect living here,” said Richard Napert. “It’s very sad.”
Fire officials do not suspect any foul play they are calling this fire an accident.
(C) WLNE/TV 2015