Massachusetts boy, 6, burned after heated car seat overheats

BOSTON, Mass. (WLNE)- A Massachusetts couple said that their son was burned by a heated car seat during a drive from Pennsylvania.

The family said that the car seat heater malfunctioned, melting their son’s sweatshirt and his blanket together. The car began to fill with smoke from the burning seat and the mother pulled over to the side of the road.

Fortunately, the boy was sleeping, using a pillow which protected him from being severely burned by the seat.

“If I didn’t pull over, and if he woke up on his own, he would’ve gotten up, and no matter how he moved, he would’ve moved that pillow, and he most likely would’ve burned himself, and would’ve been screaming,” said the boy’s mother.

The family was driving a 2013 BMW X5. They are currently driving a rental car as they figure out the next steps.

“I think that any car that has those heating coils in them, or those electrical components, that malfunctioned. Anyone who has one and turns that button on, if you’re on a long car ride, you are at risk that car catching fire,” said the boy’s father.

BMW has not yet commented on the incident.

Categories: Massachusetts, News, Regional News