Matos expected to make announcement regarding CD1 Monday
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — Lt. Gov. Sabina Matos is slated to address her future regarding the open Rhode Island District 1 Congressional seat Monday.
A spokesperson for Matos told ABC 6 News that Matos and her team are expecting to make an announcement Monday regarding her plans for the seat.
The congressional seat is opening up after Rep. David Cicilline announced in February he was vacating the seat in June to take over as the head of the Rhode Island Foundation.
Matos was one of several people rumored to be interested in the to be open seat.
House Speaker Joe Shekarhchi and former guberntorial candidate Helena Foulkes are two other names garnering attention.
A spokesperson for Shekarchi said Thursday night that the speaker is still considering his options and a spokesperson for Foulkes said no new update on where she stands.
Foulkes previously said “she is seriously considering it.”
To date, only Allen Waters, the Republican nominee in 2022 against Cicilline, has officially filed to run, this time as a Democrat.
Though not set in stone, Secretary of State Gregg Amore is eyeing the primary election to take place either in August or September.