Matos maintains she had ‘more than enough’ signatures to be on ballot
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — At a campaign event on Saturday, Lt. Gov. Sabina Matos maintained that she had collected “more than enough” signatures to be on the ballot for the 1st Congressional District special election.
“I’ve been saying since the beginning that I had more than enough signatures to qualify,” she said. “The requirement was 500, I had more than 700.”
Last week, the Board of Elections reviewed nomination signatures submitted by the campaign and found no detections of fraud.
Matos is under investigation by multiple agencies regarding the allegedly fraudulent signatures.
The comment comes just a day after Matos’ campaign filed a complaint with the FEC accusing rival candidate Aaron Regunberg’s campaign of illegally coordinating with a Super PAC funded by his father-in-law and mother.
Regunberg’s campaign responded to the complaint, calling it “ridiculous and unserious” and said that Matos’ campaign itself had coordinated with Super PACs that support her.
Matos said that the race has focused for “too long” on the issue of her signatures and not enough on issues like a women’s reproductive rights, gun safety legislation, and immigration reform.
“Whose going to go to Washington to fight for democracy, especially now more than ever,” she said.