Mattress caught fire, ignited blaze in Newport apartment

By Alana Cerrone

acerrone@abc6.com

Fire officials have determined that a mattress caught fire in a Newport apartment building Friday.

The Newport Fire Department responded to the complex on Girard Avenue just after 10:00 Friday night.

Seven people inside – including six adults and one child – escaped the blaze but are now without a home, receiving aid from the Red Cross.

The mattress caught fire in the bedroom and, although it was contained in the bedroom, left smoke and water damage throughout other apartments. Officials are still investigating how the mattress first caught fire.

(C) WLNE-TV 2013