New Bedford man convicted in 2019 armed carjacking

NEW BEDFORD, M.A. (WLNE) – Calixto Smith, a 23-year-old New Bedford man who committed an armed carjacking in New Bedford in October of 2019 was sentenced to serve up to three-and-a-half years in state prison last week.

According to the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office last Wednesday, he appeared in Fall River Superior Court and pleaded guilty to an indictment charge of carjacking while armed.

Around 11:00 p.m. on October 10, 2019, the male victim and his wife were driving their sedan and stopped at a red light at the interception of Cove Road and Orchard Street. Smith forced himself into the rear seat of the couple’s vehicle.

Once in the vehicle, he exposed a knife and told the victims to stop the car and to get out.

The victim pulled into a gas station parking lot on Rockdale Avenue, and he and his wife exited the vehicle. While exiting the vehicle, Smith removed himself from the rear seat, while the male victim armed himself with a baseball bat.

After all of the parties were outside of the car, the male victim was able to chase off the defendant with the baseball bat.

The investigation lasted approximately two months before the defendant was eventually identified and caught.

District Attorney Quinn said, “This case is another example of lawlessness in our cities that cannot be tolerated.”

Categories: Massachusetts, New Bedford, News, Regional News