New Bedford man sentenced 15 years for rape of minor
PROVIDENCE,R.I. (WLNE)- Aristedes Lopes, a 62-year-old New Bedford resident, pleaded guilty Monday to charges of raping a teenage boy at knife point in 2017, the Bristol County district attorney announced today.
According to Bristol Country District Attorney Thomas Quinn III, the victim had been taking pictures of bunkers at Fort Taber in New Bedford when Lopes pulled him at knife point into a secluded area of the historic fort.
After raping the teenage victim, Lopes fled at the sound of voices. The victim managed to photograph Lopes, and trailed him to a waiting car, capturing a picture of its license plate.
With the victim’s cooperation, police tracked the car to a female friend of Lopes, who confirmed that she had driven him to the park the previous day.
“This was a violent and premeditated sexual assault committed in a public place,” said Quinn. “The defendant was obviously looking for someone to prey on.”
Lopes was sentenced to serve 12 and a half to 15 years in state prison by Judge William Sullivan.
“I am pleased the defendant was held accountable without the victim having to testify,” Quinn said.
©WLNE-TV/ABC 6 2020