New Hampshire Rallies Late To Beat Brown

Brown University Press Release

Durham, New Hampshire –Trailing by one point with just under 2:00 remaining,  New Hampshire held Brown scoreless for the remainder of the game, out-scoring the Bears, 8-0, to earn a 68-61 non-league win over Brown Thursday evening at Lundholm Gymnasium.

The Bears fall to 8-8 overall, while New Hampshire improves to 7-8.

Bears’ senior forward Rafael Maia connected on two free throws with 1:56 remaining to give Brown a late 61-60 lead.

A trey Joe Bramanti gave the Wildcats the lead for good, 63-61, with 1:37 on the clock. Tanner Lassiter then connected on a banked trey to give New Hampshire to a 66-61 advantage and control of the game with one minute to play.

Maia led the Bears with 15 points on 4-of-6 shooting from the field and 7-of-8 shooting from the free throw line.

Junior forward Cedric Kuakumensah, Brown’s two-time time Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year, registered a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. He also had three blocked shots and became the fourth player in Ivy basketball history to block 200 or more career shots, now with 202 blocks.

Sophomore guard Tavon Blackmon had 10 points, four assists and four rebounds for the Bears.

Brown  played without its leading scorer, sophomore Leland King, who missed the game due to injury.

Jacoby Armstrong paced the Wildcats with 17 points and eight rebounds.  Leissner chipped in with 12 points, while Jaleen Smith added 11 points for New Hampshire.  Bramanti had a game high 11 rebounds and six points.

Back-to-back treys by freshman Tyler Williams gave the Bears a 17-13 lead with 10:23 left in the opening half.

The Wildcats quickly rallied with the long ball, hitting 3-of-3 three-point baskets in a 15-4 spurt to pull ahead by a 28-21 margin with 5:45 remaining on a trey by Matt Miller.  New Hampshire maintained the lead and held a 34-27 advantage at halftime.

The Bears came out of the locker room with a vengeance and a stronger defensive effort and grabbed their first lead, 43-42, on a free throw by Blackmon at the 12:04 mark.

A sea-saw battle ensued from that point with the Wildcats going back up by five points, 55-50, with 6:12 left on a Gabriel Williams layup.

Brown pulled to within two points, 59-57, on two free throws by Maia with 2:56 left in the game, and tied the score, 59-59 on two free throws by Kuakumensah 16 seconds later.

Brown returns home for its final non-league game of the season on Monday, January 12, hosting Lyndon State.  Tip-off is 7pm at the Pizzitola Sports Center.