Newport’s Tennis Hall of Fame Open Canceled for 2020 due to COVID-19

NEWPORT, RI (WLNE) – The International Tennis Hall of Fame class of 2020 induction ceremony and the Hall of Fame Open in Newport is canceled for 2020.

The International Tennis Hall of Fame said in a statement Friday that the induction ceremony and the annual ATP Tour tournament will not take place in July as previously scheduled as a result of COVID-19. The induction ceremony and festivities for the Class of 2020 inductees Conchita Martinez and Goran Ivanišević will be postponed to July 2021.

“While we will miss the annual traditions of Enshrinement Weekend and the Hall of Fame Open this year, the health and safety of all those involved and our local community is the priority,” stated Todd Martin, International Tennis Hall of Fame CEO. “We are looking forward to providing Conchita Martínez and Goran Ivanišević the celebration they deserve in becoming Hall of Famers and bringing the best of professional tennis back to Newport next summer.”

The International Tennis Hall of Fame says they will contact all ticket holders directly via email to refund their ticket purchases. Another option offered for 2020 ticket holders is to convert the tickets into a tax-deductible donation to the Hall of Fame, defer their tickets for use at the 2021 events (July 11 – 18, 2021), or receive a full refund.

The International Tennis Hall of Fame will continue to celebrate Martínez and Ivanišević’s careers through digital content on tennisfame.com.

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Regional News, Rhode Island, Sports, US & World News