Nick Lappin Scores Hat Trick to Lead Brown Past Colgate in Catamount Cup Opener in Vermont

Brown news release…

BURLINGTON, Vt. – Senior Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) recorded five points, including three goals, and sophomore Sam Lafferty (Holidaysburg, Pa.) scored the game-winner in the final minute to lead the Brown men’s hockey team past Colgate, 7-5, to open the UVM Catamount Cup Tuesday at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

Brown improves to 3-7-3 overall after the non-conference matchup, while Colgate falls to 5-12-1.

After the two teams traded a pair of goals to start the third period, Lafferty scored the game-winning goal with 47 seconds left in regulation to break a 5-5 tie. Lappin then scored an empty netter to seal the victory.

Nick Lappin had three goals and two assists for his first career hat trick and a career high five-point effort. Rookie Tommy Marchin (Algonac, Mich.) had two goals and one assist and senior Mark Naclerio (Milford, Conn.) had three assists as the top line combined for 11 points. Defensemen Max Gottlieb (Old Bridge, N.J.) and Ben Tegtmeyer (Cincinnati, Ohio) provided two points apiece.

Tim Ernst (Pickering, Ontario) allowed three goals and made 13 saves in the win after coming in for Tyler Steel (Vernon, British Columbia), who made a pair of saves. Charlie Finn registered 28 saves on the other side for the Raiders.

Colgate raced out to an early two-goal lead, starting at 3:14 when Mike Borkowski beat Steel with a backhanded shot just below the right circle. Tyson Spink then scored on a wraparound goal at 6:42 to make it 2-0.  

Brown settled down midway through the period and started to counter offensively with more shots on net, before Nick Lappin tacked on his eighth goal of the season with 20 seconds remaining. Tegtmeyer took a shot from in front of the blue line, but Lappin was set up in the slot and redirected the puck past Finn to trim the deficit, 2-1. Brown outshot the Raiders in the first period, 7-5.

Brown carried over its momentum into the start of the middle period by attacking the net with a flurry of shots, before breaking through with a pair of goals midway through the stanza. Marchin evened the score at 10:54 when he re-directed a point shot into the back of the net. Gottlieb followed at 13:41 with his first career goal on a blast from the slot to push the Bears in front, 3-2.

Colgate answered back near the end of the period at 15:35 when Mike Panowyk tied the score at 3-3 heading into the second intermission. Brown outshot the Raiders, 20-6, in the second frame.

The third period featured back-and-forth scoring as the two teams combined for six goals in the stanza. Nick Lappin took advantage of a 5-on-3 situation at 2:13 for his second tally of the contest, but the Raiders killed off the remaining 1:30 of the power play and then Tyson Spink notched his second of the game at 4:17.

Brown regained the lead at 8:19 when Marchin tipped in a shot from Lappin right in front of the crease for his second tally of the afternoon. Nevertheless, Colgate responded less than three minutes later as Evan Peterson tied it all up at 5-5.

The game seemed destined for overtime before Tyler Bird (Andover, Mass.) set up Lafferty for a game winning one-timer with 47 seconds left in regulation.

Brown outshot Colgate, 35-20, to move to 2-0-1 against the Raiders this season.

The Bears return to the Catamount Cup tomorrow when they play Lake Superior State at 4 p.m.