Police: Man barricades himself with AR-15 in North Providence home

NORTH PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — Police said a 56-year-old man barricaded himself with an AR-15 gun inside a home in North Providence.

Police responded to Stephanie Drive just after 3 p.m. Wednesday for a report of a gunshot. When they arrived, a man barricaded himself inside the Stephanie Drive home.

Residents in adjacent homes were still sheltering in place as of 1 a.m. Thursday.

Police Chief Alfredo Ruggiero said the man, whose name was not immediately released, fired the weapon outside of the home. No injuries were reported.

Ruggiero said they were in communication with the man for several hours. However, he stopped communicating with police at about 7:15 p.m.

The chief said the man is in “a better state of mind” than when they first arrived.

 

Ruggiero gave an update just after 9:30 p.m. saying they re-established communication and the man requested food: three hot wieners and a pizza.

The man told police once he and the woman finished eating their food they would come out of the home, according to the chief.

Initially, Ruggiero said they have been in contact with the man and that he “needs some time.”

The chief added a female friend was inside the home with the man, but didn’t want to leave.

Ruggiero confirmed that they had previously dealt with the suspect during prior incidents, but was unsure of how many times.

He also told ABC 6 News that the subject has a cousin that works as a lieutenant with the Cranston Police Department and he has spoken with him.

Ruggiero said at one point, they had the man at the door without a weapon but he went back inside the home and after more than fives hours is still refusing to come out.

“I know he has posted to Facebook Live that he feels that the police want to come in and do him harm. That is not the case, we want him to surrender peacefully,” said Ruggiero.

Residents living on Stephanie Drive and Meadow View Boulevard were asked to remain inside their homes.

Categories: News