Social media threat alarms North Providence school officials

By News Staff

Email: news@abc6.com

Twitter: @ABC6

NORTH PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) – North Providence school officials responded Tuesday to a potential threat of violence that was in fact intended for a high school in Florida.

A photo circulating social media sites between Monday evening and Tuesday morning showed a male individual displaying what appears to be a handgun, along with text threatening violence toward black students at “NPHS”.

North Providence Superintendent Robert O’Brien said the photo came to school officials’ attention around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Multiple police officers responded to the school and locked down the building, allowing students to enter through a supervised entrance.

Upon investigating the threat, North Providence Police discovered that the same threat and photo was sent to students at North Port High School in Florida.

Parents of North Providence students were notified by e-mail and by phone that their children were safe and that no threat had been made toward the school.

Superintendent O’Brien said a 14-year old student in Florida is being held accountable for threats made after posting the photo to social media.

©WLNE-TV / ABC6 2019