North Providence Town Council holds hearing on local restaurant following allegations from the DBR

One of the allegations was that a DBR inspector and North Providence police officer were denied access to the restaurant, which was the main concern of the town council Tuesday night.
P North Prov Mtgstill001

NORTH PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) – The North Providence Town Council held a hearing regarding the liquor and entertainment licenses at Centredale Revival Co., following allegations from the DBR that the restaurant had violated Covid-19 regulations.

The restaurant was originally refusing to close despite a compliance order from the DBR regarding the alleged violations on January 8. Since then, they have agreed to abide by the RI DOH rules.

One of the allegations was that a DBR inspector and North Providence police officer were denied access to the restaurant, which was the main concern of the town council Tuesday night.

“Neither North Providence Police, nor any state official, has ever been denied access,” said Owner Shane Piche at Tuesday’s meeting.

Piche maintains that his restaurant was closed when an inspector with the DBR came by with a police officer on January 8, and that he told the inspector she could come back another time.

“I’m just going to ask on behalf of the council, let’s all try and work together, let’s not hear this again about police officers not being let in,” said Council President Dino Autiello.

According to the report, the inspector observed people were still inside the restaurant despite the doors being locked. Piche has said they were finishing up the night, but not letting in new customers.

There was also an allegation that an officer was not let in on a different occasion, when an inspector tried to enter the restaurant back in December.

Both officers testified to the council to clear up any miscommunication.

Officer Ryan Emerson testified that he hadn’t asked to go inside the night of January 8, so he couldn’t say that he was denied entry.

“Neither time were they denied, but then again, Officer Beaudette, when he was there the first time on December 31, no one came to the door. So he can’t state if he was observed by anyone or not,” said Chief of Police Arthur Martins.

Piche called it insulting that it’s even been insinuated that he wouldn’t let authorities inside.

“There’s never been a call to our restaurant for any issue, aside from the State of Rhode Island weaponizing our local police department,” Piche testified. “I would like to say that our police department’s resources could be better used.”

Council members said that either way, officers should be able to gain access to a business if it’s still operational, even if the doors are locked.

“If the police officers show up at 11 o’clock, and there are patrons inside, I would expect that the police officers are provided access,” said Councilor Mario Martone.

The council did not to take any action against the restaurant, but Council President Autiello said that if there is another similar complaint, the restaurant will likely be issued a warning.

ABC 6 reached out to the DBR last week for comment egarding Piche calling the allegations false, but never heard back.

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Rhode Island