P-Bruins Lose Home Opener in a Shootout Against Monarchs

P-Bruins news release…

Providence, RI – The Providence Bruins earned a point in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Manchester Monarchs Friday evening in front of 10,175 fans at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.  Nick Johnson and Jared Knight scored the two P-Bruins goals, while Niklas Svedberg had 32 saves.

The first period was fast paced and filled with big hits and multiple scoring opportunities.  Despite chances for both teams, the game remained scoreless after the first period.

In the second period both teams came out with the same high intensity.  As the shots continued, Providence was able to strike first with a goal at the 7:40 mark.  Nick Johnson tallied his third goal of the game while Alexander Khokhlachev and Zach Trotman recorded the assists.  Just over five minutes later the P-Bruins capitalized again.  Jared Knight scored his second goal of the season at the 12:42 mark when he buried a one-timer from Alexander Fallstrom with Justin Florek getting the second assist.  Manchester encountered a couple near-goal opportunities but was unable to finish.  Providence went in to the intermission leading 2-0.

In the third period the Monarchs got on the board at the 5:10 mark, while on the power play.  Andrew Bodnarchuk scored the goal, his first of the season, with Brandon Kozun and Jordan Weal picking up the assists.  With right around seven minutes left in the period the Monarchs had a bit of a frenzy in front of the P-Bruin's net ripping off a series of shots but couldn't find the back of the net.  The Monarchs Kozun scored at the 17:41 mark of the third to tie the game at two.  For Kozun it was his first goal of the season, with Weal and Bodnarchuk grabbing the assists.  The game went into overtime tied at two.

In the extra session, the P-Bruins dominated, but could not find the back of the net, even after spending two minutes on the man-advantage.  The score remained tied at two going into the shootout.

Ryan Spooner got Providence on the board first in the shootout, which was quickly followed up with back to back goals from the Monarchs Tyler Toffoli and Weal.  Manchester wrapped up the shootout after Andy Andreoff scored in the fourth round to give the Monarchs the 3-2 shootout victory.

Svedberg stopped 32 of the 34 shots he faced for the P-Bruins, while Martin Jones had 24 saves for the Monarchs.  Providence was 0-for-4 on the power play and 3-for-4 on the penalty kill.

The P-Bruins head to the road on Saturday for a game against the Portland Pirates at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine at 7:00 pm.  The P-Bruins return to the Dunkin' Donuts Center Friday, October 18 at 7:05pm against the Springfield Falcons.  The first 2,000 fans will receive a free t-shirt courtesy of Wood & Wire Fence Company.  For tickets to this game or any other P-Bruins home games visit www.providencebruins.com.