P-Bruins Take 2-0 Lead, then Fall to Falcons in Shootout

P-Bruins news release…

Providence, RI –
The Providence Bruins earned a point
against the Springfield Falcons Friday
night at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in a 3-2 shootout loss.  Justin
and Kevan Miller scored
in regulations, while Jared Knight
tallied in the shootout for the P-Bruins, while Malcolm Subban made 24 saves.

The first period was dominated by goaltending and defense by both teams.  Neither team registered a shot on goal for the
first five minutes of the game.  The
first quality chance came for the Falcons when Sean Collins took a loose puck past the P-Bruins defense for a
breakaway that Subban made a
sprawling pad save on.  A couple minutes
later Subban withstood a barrage of shots from Springfield to keep the game
scoreless going into the first intermission.

The P-Bruins broke the scoreless tie at the 2:32 mark of the second period,
while on the power play.  Florek received a pass from Carter Camper at the top of the crease
and chipped it over Falcons goaltender Jeremy
's shoulder for his sixth goal of the season.  

picked up the second assist. 
Miller made it 2-0 for Providence at the 7:30 mark after taking a pass
from Mike Moore at the blue line,
faking left and going left for an open wrist shot at the top of the face-off
circle putting it over Smith's glove for his second goal this season.   Bobby
grabbed the second assist. 

answered back at the 11:35 mark when Cody
picked up the puck off a turnover and passed it ahead to Andrew Joudrey giving him a breakaway.  Joudrey scored off the backhand, his fourth
goal of the season.  The Falcons tied the
game at two at the 18:57 mark. 

Frederic St. Denis found himself open
at the face-off dot and scored his sixth goal of the season.  Cody
and Michael Chaput
recorded the assists as the game went into the second intermission tied at two.

After a scoreless third period the game went into overtime. Springfield had the
best opportunity of the extra session with six seconds left, but Subban came up
strong to send the game into a shootout.

In the shootout, the Falcons scored first in the third round on a goal
from Collins.  Providence answered back in the fourth round
when Knight scored.  After two more
scoreless rounds, the Falcons took the victory with a goal in the
seventh round
from Joudrey to go onto the 3-2 shootout victory.

Subban stopped 24 of 26 shots in regulation and five of seven shots in the
shootout for the P-Bruins, while Smith made 20 saves in regulation and six
saves in the shootout for the Falcons. 
Providence went 1-for-3 on the power play and was 2-for-3 on the penalty

The P-Bruins hit the road Saturday against the Portland Pirates at 7:00pm and
return to the Dunkin' Donuts Center Friday,
January 3
at 7:05pm against the Worcester Sharks.