PC Drops Third Straight Game at Marquette Tuesday

Friars 1 12

Providence College Press Release

MILWAUKEE, Wis. – The Providence College men’s basketball team was defeated by the Marquette Golden Eagles, 79-69, on Tuesday, January 12 in Milwaukee, Wis. The Friars fall to 7-6 overall and 3-4 in BIG EAST play.

The Friars finished with four players in double-figures. Nate Watson (Portsmouth, Va.) scored a team-high 18 points for the Friars. David Duke (Providence, R.I.) finished with 17 points and nine assists in 40 minutes of game action. A.J. Reeves (Roxbury, Mass.) and Jimmy Nichols, Jr. (Conway, S.C.) added 12 and 11 points, respectively.

The Friars missed their first three attempts from the field to open the game. At the 17:30 mark, Watson made a jumper to get the Friars in the scoring column. At 15:34, Reeves knocked down the team’s first three-point basket. Marquette led 9-5 at the first media timeout.

With 14:03 left in the first half, Duke converted from three-point territory to give the Friars their first lead of the game. Providence led 10-9 and was in the midst of an 8-0 run.

Heading into the 7:25 media timeout, the Golden Eagles held a 21-16 lead. The Friars had not scored in nearly three minutes and had made only one of their last six shot attempts.

The Friars used their first team timeout with 6:21 remaining in the first half. Outside of the timeout, Marquette’s Theo John made a layup to extend the Golden Eagles’ lead to double-digits, at 27-16. Marquette had led a 16-3 run over the last six minutes.

At the 4:01 mark, the Friars ended their scoring drought, which had totaled over six minutes, with two free throws by Duke. With 1:01 remaining in the half, Nichols knocked down a three while double-covered in the left corner. With 0:19 left, Reeves completed an and-one to bring the Friars’ deficit back to single-digits.

The Golden Eagles led at halftime, 38-29. Providence shot 10-30 (33.3%) from the field, 6-12 (50.0%) from three, and 3-4 (75.0%) from the free throw line. Marquette shot 15-30 (50.0%) from the field, 4-10 (40.0%) from three, and 4-4 (100%) from the free throw line.

Watson scored the first six points of the second half for the Friars. The teams traded multiple baskets leading up to the 14:45 media timeout. The Friars had narrowed the gap to five points, as Marquette led 45-40.

With 7:48 remaining in the game, Noah Horchler (Melbourne Beach, Fla.) made a shot from behind the three-point arc to bring the Friars within one point. The Golden Eagles responded with a 9-2 run. Marquette held control, 66-58, with 5:02 left to play.

The Friars made a quick scoring run of their own entering the final media timeout. The Friars had cut the Golden Eagles’ lead to 66-64. On Marquette’s first possession outside of the timeout, Jamal Cain made a three-point basket to extend the score to 69-64 with 3:13 remaining.

With 1:31 left to play, Nichols knocked down his third three-pointer of the game. Shortly after, Marquette’s D.J. Carton followed with a three-point play. The Golden Eagles led 76-67. Marquette closed out the game from the free throw line.

Providence finished 24-59 (40.7%) from the field, 9-19 (47.4%) from three, and 12-15 (80.0%) from the free throw line. Marquette finished 27-58 (46.6%) from the field, 7-24 (29.2%) from three, and 18-24 (75.0%) from the free throw line. Dawson Garcia led the way with a game-high 20 points for the Golden Eagles.

The Golden Eagles finished with five players in double-figures. Koby McEwen led the way with eight rebounds and five assists for the Golden Eagles. Reeves and Ed Croswell (Philadelphia, Pa.) tied for a team-high six rebounds for the Friars.

Up next, the Friars return home to face the Georgetown Hoyas on Saturday, Jan. 16 at Alumni Hall in Providence, R.I. The game is set for tip-off at 12 p.m. and will be televised on FS1.

Categories: College Sports, Sports