PC Hockey Completes Weekend Sweep of Ohio State With 6-4 Win Saturday

Providence College Press Release

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The third-ranked Providence College men’s hockey team survived a late surge and held on for a 6-4 victory over Ohio State on Saturday night at Schneider Arena after a frantic third period.

Providence improves to 4-0-1 and matches their start from the 2013-14 campaign, while the Buckeyes drop to 0-6-0.  Nick Ellis (4-0-1) stood tall in the final 40 minutes, making 25 saves over that span, including 16 in the middle stanza.  Matt Tomkins surrendering six goals for the Buckeyes while turning away 26 shots.

Trevor Mingoia (Fairport, N.Y.) posted a career high three assists as the Friars boasted six different goal scorers on Saturday.

Tanev got things rolling for the Friars just 4:30 into the first as he collected a clear in the neutral zone and went high-glove on Tomkins from the top of the right circle to give Providence a 1-0 lead.  The senior grabbed his team-leading third goal of the season on the play.

Despite not converting on four power play attempts in the opening frame, the Friars continued to find success at 5-on-5 and added to their lead when Kevin Rooney notched his first of the season on a delayed penalty.  Ellis continued his strong play, denying a streaking Anthony Greco twice from close range in the first.

The lead grew to 3-0 when freshman Ryan Tait (Santa Clarita, Calif.) struck for the first time in his career on assists from Garrett Gamez (Chino Hills, Calif.) and Josh Monk (Langley, B.C.).

Ellis withstood an onslaught in the beginning of the second as three consecutive Friar penalties forced the junior to make 10 saves in the opening minutes.  The Buckeyes eventually broke through shorthanded as Tyler Lundey stuffed home a loose puck in the crease at 9:55.  Just 1:03 later, John Gilmour gave the Friars a three-goal cushion once again as he buried Trevor Mingoia’s rebound.

Ohio State continued to claw back, this time with Luke Stork re-directing Kevin Miller’s backhand shot past Ellis with 1:24 left in the period.  The Buckeyes outshot the Friars 18-7 during the second stanza.

Things looked good for the Friars early in the third after Jake Walman and Mark Jankowski potted power play goals just 39 seconds apart to put Providence up 6-2.  Undeterred, the Buckeyes struck for two quick goals in a span of 31 seconds thanks to Matthew Weis and John Wiitala.  The Friars couldn’t find the empty net for nearly three minutes, but it didn’t matter as crucial shot blocks and key saves from Ellis denied the Buckeye rally.

Up next, Providence will hit the road for a two-game set at Colgate next weekend in the final season at Starr Rink.