PC Hockey Hoping Late Penalties are Cleaned Up During Home Stretch of Season
No. 20/17 Northeastern rallied from a 3-0 deficit in the third period to force a 3-3 tie with the Providence College men’s hockey team on Friday night (Feb. 10) at Schneider Arena. The Huskies earned the extra Hockey East point with a 1-0 shootout win.
Providence (13-10-7, 8-6-6 HEA) | No. 20/17 Northeastern (14-10-4, 11-5-3 HEA)
Providence – 3 | Northeastern – 3 – OT (NU wins shootout, 1-0)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
Philip Svedebäck (PC) – 29 saves, 3 goals against
Devon Levi (NU) – 54 saves, 3 goals against
– The Friars controlled the pace of play in the first period, outshooting the Huskies by an 18-4 margin.
– The power play struck at the 19:23 mark as Bennett Schimek buried his ninth goal of the year just under the crossbar off a centering pass from Jaroslav Chmelar.
– A strong penalty kill in the second period gave way to more momentum as Chase Yoder rifled a wrist shot over the blocker of Levi on a 3-on-0 rush by the Friars at 6:30 of the second period.
– The Friars couldn’t extend their lead after an early 5-on-3 advantage in the third.
– Providence did get their third goal at 10:12 of the period as Chmelar stuffed home a rebound after Bennett Schimek forced Levi into a turnover.
– Matt Choupani got the Huskies on the board a minute later to make it a 3-1 game.
– The Friars’ Max Crozier was given a five-minute major and game misconduct a minute after that and Aidan McDonough cashed in on the power play to make a 3-2 game.
– Choupani tied the game at 3-3 during a 4-on-4 sequence with 3:31 to play.
– Svedebäck made five stops in the overtime frame including a clean breakaway attempt by Justin Hryckowian.
– McDonough scored the lone goal in the shootout as Levi denied Patrick Moynihan, Brett Berard and Bennett Schimek.
– Providence landed 108 shots on goal over two games against Northeastern this season.
– The Friars appeared in their 11th overtime game this season (2-2-7).
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: B. Schimek, Yoder, Chmelar (1)
Assists: Chmelar, Duran, B. Schimek (1)
Points: Chmelar, B. Schimek (2)
Shots: Brett Berard (8)
Providence – 1/4
Northeastern – 1/5
Providence – 57
Northeastern – 32
The Friars will battle UMass Lowell in a home-and-home series beginning next Friday (Feb. 17) at Schneider Arena.