PC Hockey Surges Past UMass Lowell In Road Win
Providence College Press Release
LOWELL, Mass. – Jacob Bryson recorded three assists and four other Friars tallied two points as the No. 13 Providence College men’s hockey team scored a 6-1 win over No. 10/11 UMass Lowell on Friday night at Tsongas Center. Goaltender Hayden Hawkey became the program’s all-time leader in wins with his 65th career victory on Friday night.
No. 13/13 Providence – 6 | No. 10/11 UMass Lowell – 1
Providence – 17-9-5 (10-7-2 HEA) | UMass Lowell – 17-9-2 (11-5-2 HEA)
Tsongas Center – Lowell, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) – 20 saves
Tyler Wall (UML) – 28 saves
– The Friars dodged an early bullet as an apparent River Hawk goal was waived off due to goaltender interference just under two minutes into the game.
– Providence seized control from there as Kasper Björkqvist netted his first of two goals on the night to put the Friars up 1-0 at 4:11 of the first period.
– Brandon Duhaime netted his second goal in as many games as he beat Wall up over the glove at 10:49.
– It was an even better middle stanza as the Friars outscored the River Hawks 3-0 and outshot them by an 11-2 margin.
– Björkqvist added his second of the game and his 13th of the season, followed by Michael Callahan’s 2nd of the year and Greg Printz’s 10th of the season to give Providence a 5-0 lead through 40 minutes.
– Connor Sodergren got UMass Lowell on the board at 3:13 of the third period.
– Tyce Thompson notched his 5th goal of the season just 19 seconds later to re-gain the five-goal cushion at 6-1.
– Hawkey stopped 20-of-21 shots for his 65th career win, a program record.
– Jacob Bryson posted three assists for the second time this season (Nov. 24 at Denver).
– Duhaime (1-1-2), Jack Dugan (0-2-2), Björkqvist (2-0-2) and Printz (1-1-2) all tallied two-point games.
– Providence extended its winning streak to five games over the River Hawks.
– It was the third time the Friars have scored at least six goals on the road this season.
– The Friars improved to 10-5-2 on the road this season and moved into third place in the Hockey East standings with 22 points.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) – 4:11/1st – EV – Kasper Björkqvist (Wilkins, Dugan) – Centering pass from Wilkins to Björkqvist for the re-direct at the top of the crease.
2-0 (PC) – 10:49/1st – EV – Brandon Duhaime (Lemos, Bryson) – After a faceoff win in the defensive zone, Bryan Lemos fed Duhaime entering the zone and he wired a wrist shot over the glove of Wall.
3-0 (PC) – 3:40/2nd – EV – Kasper Björkqvist (Dugan, Desharnais) – Dugan rushing down the right wing feed Björkqvist at the bottom of the far circle and he finished under the crossbar.
4-0 (PC) – 10:58/2nd – EV – Michael Callahan (Duhaime, O’Brien) – Cross-ice pass from Duhaime to Callahan for a one-timer.
5-0 (PC) – 19:05/2nd – EV – Greg Printz (Bryson, Young) – Drop pass at the blue line from Bryson to Printz who beat Wall low to the stick side through a screen.
5-1 (UML) – 3:13/3rd – EV – Connor Sodergren (Marin, Dmowski) – Wrist shot over the shoulder of Hawkey coming down the left wing.
6-1 (PC) – 3:32/3rd – EV – Tyce Thompson (Printz, Bryson) – Printz found Thompson at the top of the slot and he finished a shot low past Wall.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Björkqvist (2)
Assists: Bryson (3)
Points: Bryson (3)
Shots: Mirageas (6)
Providence – 0/3
UMass Lowell – 0/3
UMass Lowell – 21
The Friars and River Hawks conclude their regular season series tomorrow night at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence College men’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @FriarsHockey.