PC Men’s Soccer Going Back to BIG EAST Championship
The Providence College men’s soccer team came from behind to top St. John’s University, 2-1, in the BIG EAST Semifinal on Wednesday, Nov. 13. The Friars scored both goals in the second half and defeat the Red Storm for the second time this season. In their last meeting Providence shutout St. John’s, 2-0, at home on Wednesday, Nov. 6.
Providence – 2
St. John’s – 1
Providence – 14-5-0 (BIG EAST 6-3-0)
St. John’s – 13-4-1 (BIG EAST 6-2-1)
Belson Stadium | Queens, N.Y.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
– The Red Storm took the lead, 1-0, in the 14th minute. BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year, Tani Oluwaseyi, controlled the ball and beat the Providence defender to get a clear shot on net. Austin Aviza (Menway, Mass.) got a hand on the ball but Oluwaseyi followed the shot and got the rebound in goal.
– In the 31st minute, Aviza made a diving save on the lower right of the net to keep the lead for the Red Storm at one.
– The Friars tie the game up at 1-1 in the 50th minute on a header by Paulo Lima (Lisbon, Portugal). Joao Serrano (Evora, Portugal) took the corner kick from the far side and connected with Lima just outside the 6-yard line. This was the eighth goal off a corner kick for the Friars this season.
– Both goalies made important saves in the second half to keep the score knotted up. St. John’s, Luka Gavran, and Aviza both made four.
– Providence scored the game winning goal in the 87th minute to put them up 2-1. Trevor Davock (Medway, Mass.) brought the ball up the right side and crossed it into to the box where Danny Griffin (Wethersfield, Conn.) got a shot off. His shot was saved by the Red Storm keeper but Davis Smith (Amherst, Mass.) found himself in the right spot to score off the rebound in the lower left of the net.
– Providence outshot St. John’s 13-4 in the second half and 16-5 overall. They held the advantage in corner kicks, 7-4.
– Lima has scored a goal in the past six games giving him eight on the season while Smith tallied his fifth goal.
– The Friars increase their record to 8-0-1 against St. John’s in their last nine meetings.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (SJU) 13:29/1st – Tani Oluwaseyi – Got the rebound off his own shot to score past Aviza who was outside the goal.
1-1 (PC) 49:46/2nd – Paulo Lima (Serrano) – Serrano crossed the ball on a corner kick to Lima who scored on a header.
2-1 (PC) 86:18/2nd – Davis Smith (Griffin, Davock) – Smith got the touch and scored from inside the 6-yard box after a shot by Griffin that was saved.
Providence: Austin Aviza (14-5-0), 4 saves, 1 goal against
St. John’s: Jan Hoffelner (7-3-0), 2 saves, 0 goals against; Luka Gavran (6-1-1), 4 saves, 2 goals against
Shots on goal: 8
Corner kicks: 7
Shots on goal: 5
Corner kicks: 4
The No. 3 seed Providence heads to the No. 1 seed Georgetown University on Sunday, Nov. 17 in the BIG EAST Championship game. The match is set for kick-off at 12:00 p.m. on Shaw Field in Washington, D.C. and will be televised on FS2.
For more updates on the Providence men’s soccer program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCFriarsMSoccer