PC Men’s Soccer Plays To 1-1 Draw With St. John’s
Providence College Press Release
Providence, R.I. – The Providence College men’s soccer team tied St. John’s, 1-1, on Wednesday, Oct. 19 on Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium. Jason Pereira (Bloomfield, N.J.) scored the lone goal for the Friars.
Providence 1 | St. John’s 1
Providence 4-4-6 (2-2-4 BIG EAST) | St. John’s 4-6-4 (2-2-3 BIG EAST)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
– Both teams had a slow start with only eight shots taken, led by the Friars’ six.
– The only shots on target were two by Providence.
– The Friars notched an early 1-0 lead after Jason Pereira put the Friars on the board in the 58th minute with an assist from Christopher Roman (Glastonbury, Conn.).
– The Red Storm answered in the 72nd minute after Wesley Leggett placed the ball into the top left corner of the net.
-The Friars had 17 total shot attempts, five of which came in the last 10 minutes of regulation.
– Pereira led the Friar offense with five total shots, followed by Gevork Diarbian (Cranston, R.I.) who had three.
– Providence held a 6-1 corner kick edge and outshot the Red Storm 9-1 with shots on goal.
HOW THEY SCORED
(1-0) – Providence – 57:36/2nd – Jason Pereira got the ball to the top right corner of the net in the 58th minute after a long pass from Esben Wolf (Copenhagen, Denmark) was headed to Pereira by Roman.
(1-1) – St. John’s – 71:12/2nd – Wesley Leggett got the shot off after a through ball from Nigel Griffith was tapped through Providence defenders by Antek Sienkel to get Leggett the ball in the box.
St. John’s – Zenden Hart– 8 saves, 1 goal allowed
Providence – Rimi Olatunji (Brampton, Ontario) – 0 saves, 1 goal allowed
Shots on goal: 1
Corner kicks: 1
Shots on goal: 9
Corner kicks: 6
The Friars will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio to face Xavier University on Oct. 29 at 7:00 p.m. before welcoming Creighton University to Anderson Stadium on Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 7:00 p.m. to close out the 2022 regular season at home.