Plane crashes into Groton CT home

GROTON, CT. — An investigation is underway after a plane crashed into a home in Groton, Connecticut on Monday night.

According to the Groton Police Chief, the crash happened at 10:30 p.m. in a neighborhood on Ring Drive at Donna Drive. He says two people were on board when it crashed and one person was inside the home.

Neighbors say it was dark and most of them were asleep. Art Valdez lives directly across the street from the crash site.

“All the sudden I heard a big bang. It woke me up and I thought I was dreaming,” Valdez said.

“I heard what I thought was a truck going by and then this terrific crash,” neighbor Sharon Rebein said. “I thought it was something out of my sight. And then immediately people running and flashlights going and screaming.”

Police say the two people on board the small plane managed to get up and walk out of the home.

They were taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital in New London with non-life threatening injuries.

Police say there was also one man inside the home, Tammy Delacruz’s father, Ken. She says the nose of the plane was lodged in the spot where he watches TV.

“He decided to head to bed in case he fell asleep, which, thank god he did because the nose of the plane is right there,” Delacruz said. “He wouldn’t have made it.”

The crash happened roughly two miles from the Groton- New London Airport. Neighbors say this isn’t the first time.

“If you had one crash, yeah you kind of remember it, but this is like the fourth one,” Valdez said. “It kind of brings you back to those multiple times the airplanes crashed. It gets a little nerve-wracking.”

As the sun rose and the area filled with neighbors and investigators, Delacruz and her father says the aftermath is tough to look at.

“I grew up in this house,” Delacruz said. “I lost my mom in 2012 and my son in 2016 and a lot of memories are in this house that you can’t get back. They say you can replace things and you can’t replace people and I completely agree, but it’s heart-wrenching.”

The investigation is now being turned over to the National Transportation Safety Board or NTSB and the Connecticut Airport Authority. There’s no information yet on what caused the crash.

Categories: News, Regional News