Two children test positive for coronavirus in Westerly

Two of the nine latest cases of Coronavirus in Rhode Island came from children in the town of Westerly

WESTERLY, R.I (WLNE) – Two of the nine latest cases of Coronavirus in Rhode Island came from children in the town of Westerly, according to Chief of Police and Acting Town Manager, Sean Lacey.

Chief Lacey said one case was a pre-schooler who lives in Westerly and goes to school at Precious Memories Place, a daycare in Mystic, Connecticut, which is now closed. Officials said they would contact parents if their child is at risk of contracting the virus.

The other case is a second-grader who goes to Springbrook Elementary School, which is now closed for two weeks. All of the school’s faculty and students are now quarantined.

“It hit very close to home for me because I have an 8-year-old daughter who attends the school where one of the children also goes to school,” said Westerly resident Michael Smith. “She’s considered quarantined until March 25th.”

Many Westerly residents hit the stores Friday night after the cases were announced.

“I think the main reason people are buying things isn’t because they’re scared, it’s because they’re scared they might be forced to stay in their house,” said Westerly resident Bill Robinson.

According to officials, one of the juveniles with the virus recently went on a cruise to the Bahamas. The other child attended an NBA game in Boston last week where he got an autograph from the Utah Jazz player who also has coronavirus.

According to Chief Lacey, both juveniles are home under quarantine and are not related.

For the latest local coverage on coronavirus and helpful links to prevent further spread, click here.

©WLNE-TV/ABC6 2020

 

 

Categories: Coronavirus, News, Rhode Island, Your Health