Police charge four in Providence mass shooting that injured nine

PROVIDENCE, RI. (WLNE) – Four men have been charged following a mass shooting in the capital city last week that left nine people injured.

The Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office announced Monday that Jordany Britto, 20, Ricardo Cosme Tejada, 20, and Reynaldo Rivera, 19 were arraigned this morning on the following charges:

– Assault with a Dangerous Weapon

– Discharge of a Firearm While Committing a Crime of Violence

– Using a Pistol Without a License

– Conspiracy to carry a firearm without a license

– Conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon

– Firing in a compact area

The fourth suspect, 18-year-old George Rios, did not appear in court this morning but is facing the same charges, the AG’s office said. He remains in critical condition at Rhode Island Hospital.

Britto, Rivera and Tejada were sent to the ACI, and Rivera posted bail. Tejada will be held at the ACI as a violator and Britto has not yet posted bail.

Providence Police Chief Col. Hugh Clements said in a press conference Monday that the four men initiated a shootout among two rival groups on Carolina Avenue in Providence on Thursday night. The shooting took place just before 7 p.m. and injured nine people in total.

Police identified the nine victims as Isaiah Ortiz, age 19 of Central Falls, Lauren Feola, age 22, David Carides, age 23 of Providence, William Segbeyan, age 21 of Cranston, Ricardo Cosme Tejada, age 20 of Providence, Jordanny Britto, age 20 of Providence, George Rios, age 18 of Providence, Reynaldo Rivera, age 19 of Providence and Edwin Torres, age 24 of Providence.

Segbeyan suffered minor lacerations from shattered glass and the others all suffered gunshot wounds.

The shooting was the start of a string of shootings in Providence and Pawtucket in recent days. Chief Clements said they’re unsure right now if the shootings are connected.

Clements said additional charges could come.

© WLNE-TV 2021

Categories: News