Rhode Island cities announce “cooling shelters” amidst heat wave
By: News Staff
Cities are notifying residents of cooling shelters to help people keep safe during heat wave.
City officials in Providence and Pawtucket have a list of public places where people may go if they lack access to air conditioning during the current heat wave.
Centers in Pawtucket:
- The Blackstone Valley Visitor Center at 175 Main Street First Floor daily 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 4th of July: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- The Pawtucket Police Department Headquarters lobby at 121 Roosevelt Avenue is available 24 hours a day.
- The Pawtucket Public Library at 13 Summer Street is open Monday – Sat 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- The Leon Mathieu Senior Center at 420 Main Street is open Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. They are closed Saturday, Sunday & Wednesday, July 4th.
- Kennedy Manor Community Room located at 175 Broad Street is open Friday – Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- St. Germain Manor Community Room located at 401 Mineral Spring Avenue is Friday – Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The pool located at Veterans Park is available and open to the public beginning Saturday, June 30th from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Centers/Shelters in Providence:
- Federal Hill House, 9 Courtland Street, Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Silver Lake Annex Multi-Purpose Community Center, 529 Plainfield Street, Monday – Friday 6:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Davinci Center for Community Progress, 470 Charles Street, Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- West End Community Center, 109 Bucklin Street, 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Crossroads RI, 160 Broad Street, Thursday thru Saturday: open 24 hours
- Providence Rescue Mission, 627 Cranston Street #1, Thursday thru Saturday: open 24 hours
- Providence Public Library, 150 Empire Street, Monday: 12:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Tuesday: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesday –Friday: 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Fox Point Library, 90 Ives Street, 401-331-0390
- Al Carrington Water Park – at Richardson Park, 64 Richardson Street, Corner of Richardson Street & Prairie Ave
- Billy Taylor Water Park, 124 Camp Street, off Cypress Street
- Chad Brown Water Park, Chad Brown Street
- Sackett Street Water Park, 110 Sackett Street, across from Sackett Street Recreation Center
- Harriet & Sayles Water Park, 375 Sayles Street, Corner of Harriet & Sayles Streets
- General Street Water Park, 11 West Drive, off Admiral Street
- George West Water Park, 1266 Chalkstone Ave, corner of Chalkstone & Mt Pleasant Ave
- Fargnoli Water Park, 945 Smith Street, close to Academy Ave
- Fox Point Water Park – at Cabral Park, 505 Wickenden Street, Next to Vartan Gregorian School
- Neutaconkanut Recreation Center Water Park, 675 Plainfield Street, near Killingly Street
- Wallace Street Park, 1 Wallace Street
- Pastore Park, Corner of Knight Street and Tell Street
- Joslin Recreation Center, 17 Hyatt St
Central Falls Centers
- Forand Manor at 30 Washington Street in Central Falls. It will be available from 8 am to 8 pm on from Monday July 2nd through Thursday July 5th for the general public who may lack access to air conditioning. Forand
© WLNE-TV / ABC6 News 2018