Providence City Council president requests review into ‘Caught in Providence’
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WLNE) — Providence City Council President Rachel Miller has called for a formal review into the arrangements surrounding the show “Caught in Providence.”
The request comes after the future of Judge Frank Caprio as Chief Judge of Providence Municipal Court has been left up in the air.
Caprio is best known for his television show “Caught in Providence.”
The request for a review centers around the television show and is seeking to clarify two points.
First, does the city have a formal agreement that the show can be filmed using the Providence courtroom.
Second, a review of state, local and Judicial ethics regulations as they apply to Chief Judge Caprio’s relationship with “Caught in Providence.”
City Solicitor Jeff Dana has been asked to perform the review.
The formal request comes as the city council is nearing a vote to determine if Caprio will remain as Chief Judge or if another person will assume the role.
Caprio told WPRO radio Monday that he would like to remain as the chief judge and emphasized he has never been paid for his role on the show.
During that same WPRO interview, Caprio’s son David, said he has earned roughly $100,000 a year for his involvement with the show since 2017.
Miller, who took over as city council president at the beginning of the year, issued a statement last week surrounding Caprio’s future.
“As with any leadership transition, there were conversations at the end of last year about the future of the court. Those conversations between myself and Judge Caprio, who has a lifetime of public service to his credit, centered around the leadership of the municipal court,” read a portion of the statement.
An official date to determine Caprio’s future has not been announced.